Monday, August 23, 2010

The Death of Barbie

We've had a pretty good start to our little homeschool, but we have been very busy (and I've been a bit stressed) trying to figure out how to juggle it all. Charles is preaching as well as working full time at night, and I'm running kids to violin lessons, Cub Scouts (starting Tues.), library hour, and speech therapy as well as planning/teaching their regular school work and trying to run a household. (That was pretty much a horrible run-on sentence, but I don't care.) We've had lots of little bumps throughout the past two weeks, and nothing has gone as I would like it to go, but that's perfectly fine. However, I was greatly frustrated on Saturday morning.

I had gotten up early to go to a yard sale that benefited Amy Boggess Rose, and as I pulled out of my driveway my eye was drawn to a dark mass on the road. My heart sank, because I knew almost instantly what it was. It was Ethne's cat, Barbie! Saturday was supposed to be our fun day. We were going to Peggy's to pick up Elijah and Ethne and eat breakfast with the family, then we were hosting a birthday/swim party for our cousins, and then we were having dinner with the family at Brass Lantern. Full day, but FUN day. I did not look forward to telling Ethne about her cat.

Thankfully, we were so busy on Saturday, that she did not notice that Barbie was gone. However, I could not avoid telling her on Sunday. She took it pretty well, but she wanted us to bury her in the yard and "put a stone" on her. So, this morning we said our goodbyes to Barbie the cat.

I must say, it was hilarious for a "somber" occasion. The kids asked lots of questions like, "Will she come back someday? Will God make her alive again?" But the best part was the funeral we had for Barbie. We each told something we liked about Barbie or something that we would miss. Elijah said he would miss her being nice to Ken (our other cat). Ethne said she would miss her and that she didn't want her to be dead. Then Elijah suggested that we sing a song. I asked him what type of song was appropriate for a cat's funeral. He said (without batting an eyelash), "Well, I think a church song would be good." He immediately started singing, "I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart..."

We sang that happy song with much gusto, and gave Barbie a happy send-off. I have to admit that I laughed really hard at Elijah's choice of song, but it was oddly very appropriate. Although, I do not believe that any part of an animal lives on after its death (because they are not made in God's image), we do. If we are Christians, and serve God all of our days, our death should be the best thing that ever happens to us. I pray that Elijah is able to sing "I've got the joy..." when I pass on, because I won't be sad. I'll be with my Lord, and what could be better?







No comments:

Post a Comment